InSinkErator's Badger 5 garbage disposal is a great unit for the money. It's budget friendly price makes it a perfect solution whether you're in need of a replacement now, or simply looking to install a solid performer.
We'll take a deep dive into the Badger 5 garbage disposal to help you decide if this is the right disposal for you. There's no shortage of garbage disposals available at this price point, but finding one that's reliable and built to last can be a challenge.
It's compact size allows it to fit under almost any sink, and it's affordable enough that it's a great option for someone in a garbage disposal bind. But is it the right disposal for you? Let's take a deep dive into the Badger 5 and help you decide.
- RELIABLE & EASY INSTALL: Badger Series disposers are a reliable & functional choice when affordability is the prime concern, and features a compact, space-saving design that fits existing InSinkErator hardware for a quick and easy install.
- DURABLE COMPONENTS: This garbage disposal features our exclusive 1/2 hp Dura-Drive Induction Motor and long lasting galvanized steel components to ensure a dependable grind for everyday food scraps.
- AMERICA'S #1 DISPOSER BRAND: There are more American-built InSinkErator garbage disposals in US homes than all other brands combined. A full line of models means there's one right for every need and budget.
- FASTER, CLEANER, SMARTER: From meal prep to cleanup, InSinkErator helps make it fast & easy to keep your kitchen clean with our iconic appliances: garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers.
- A HISTORY OF INNOVATION FOR THE SINK: We invented garbage disposals in 1927, & we're the world’s largest manufacturer of garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers for home & commercial use.
Garbage disposals with 1/2-hp motors lands smack in the middle of the pack in terms of power, since there are both 1-hp and 1/3-hp disposals on the market. This makes the Badger 5, with it's 1/2-hp motor, ideal for medium-sized households that produce a moderate amount of food waste.
When it comes to garbage disposals, don't get fooled by thinking bigger is better. Although, many plumbers will recommend stepping up to a 3/4-hp disposal, plenty of households will do just fine with a 1/2-hp. Read our full article on how to find the right size disposal HERE.
If the Badger 5 disposal is modest in size, it's even more modest in price. It doesn't feature all the bells-and-whistles that some other disposals do, but then you don't need to pay for all the bells-and-whistles either.
With an affordable price tag, the Badger 5 is the perfect choice for a household of 2-to-4 people who are looking for a budget friendly new disposal. It's also an excellent fit for a landlord who wants to install a reliable garbage disposal for tenants, but doesn't want to worry about spending big bucks if it isn't treated properly.
- Priced for Nearly Every Budget - The affordable price makes this an excellent choice.
- Easy Installation - If you're a DIY kind of person, you'll be happy to know that installation is relatively easy. With it's compact size (7" x 13") and lightweight design (slightly over 13 lbs) you'll be able to easily hold it to the mount during installation.
- Quick Lock Mount - Installation is even easier with InSinkErator's Quick Lock® Sink Mount. Simply unscrew your old disposal and twist the Badger 5 in its place.
- Trusted Brand - The Badger 5 is made by InSinkErator, which is a trusted manufacturer of garbage disposals. Just scroll thru a few reviews, and you'll see that many users are replacing their old InSinkErator models after 10, 15, and sometimes even 20 years of service.
- Cord Optional - If you already have a power cord you can purchase the Badger 5 without a cord. But if you need a power cord, you don't need to worry, the Badger 5 can be purchased with a factory installed cord.
- Noisy - The Badger 5 can be a bit on the noisy side. However, if you're looking for a quiet garbage disposal you might want to consider the Evolution Excel, which utilizes SoundSeal® Technology to dampen the noise.
- Galvanized Steel Components - Galvanized steel is prone to rust and corrosion.
The Badger 5 garbage disposal is part of InSinkErator's budget friendly product line. But don't let the lower price point fool you, the Badger disposals are built to be both durable and reliable. Take a look at a few of the features:
Dura-Drive Induction Motor
The Badger 5 features InSinkErator's Dura-Drive Induction Motor as the foundation of its durability. The motor has no wearable parts so there's no need to worry about doing maintenance on the unit.
The 1/2-hp motor spins at 1725 rpm which is more than enough power to handle your everyday garbage. Of course, paying attention of the things you put down your disposal, and feeding it in small batches will go a long way in preventing clogs and jams.
A specially designed jam-buster wrench is included with the Badger 5. The wrench will allow you to clear jams without ever needing to risk injury by sticking your hand (or other objects) into the grind chamber.
Simply insert the Jam-buster wrench into the designated hole on the bottom of the disposal and twist until the disposal is unjammed.
Continuous feed garbage disposals, unlike batch feed disposals, allow for additional food waste to be added to the garbage disposal while it's running. Because the Badger 5 disposal is a continuous feed disposal, you'll be able to quickly and efficiently break down large amounts of food waste.
Quick Lock® Sink Mount
As mentioned above, the Quick Lock® Sink Mount makes replacing an old InSinkErator an accessible DIY project. You'll also be set up for another easy install if you decide to upgrade or replace your garbage disposal in the future.
2-Year In-Home Warranty
InSinkErator includes a 2-year "We Come to You" warranty with the purchase of the Badger 5. This means that if your new disposal develops a defect a licensed service professional will come to your house to diagnose and repair the problem with no parts or labor costs to you.
As with any warranty, there are restrictions. You can read the warranty HERE.
Determining whether the Badger 5 is the right choice for you, depends mostly on your garbage disposal needs. Households larger than 2-4 people will generally need a bit more horse power than the 1/2-hp provided by the Badger 5.
However, many households find the Badger 5 with it's 1/2-hp motor the perfect choice. This is especially true if you're not overly reliant on your garbage disposal.
There are less expensive 1/2-hp options on the market, but they won't come with the backing of the InSinkErator brand. And, of course, there are buyers out there who want a high-end disposal with all the top-of-the-line features such as the InSinkErator 3/4-hp Evolution Compact.
If you're not a fan of InSinkErator, you may want to check out the 1/2-hp Waste King L-2600. It uses a different type of motor, has stainless steel components, and offers a 5-year warranty.
The Bottom Line
The Badger 5 is a reliable option that provides great value with no shortage of happy customers. However, because of the less powerful 1/2-hp motor it just may fall short for your household needs.
If this is a concern, you may want to consider the 3/4-hp Badger 5xp. For a little more money, you'll upgrade to a larger motor and a 3-year warranty!
Last update on 2022-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API