Are you looking for the best tankless water heater? Tankless water heaters have gained popularity over the years because they deliver hot water nearly instantaneously. Some of the best brands are listed below. Read the ratings, check prices, read heater reviews, view any deals, analyze their performance and learn our picks for the best tankless water heaters.
Top 5 Best Tankless Water Heaters
The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 tankless model is a high-performing, well designed electric tankless water heater which comes with exceptional technology and backed by a strong brand. With a sleek gray finished case and visible controls this unit showcases over 90 years of superior German technology and delivers impressive energy saving rating performance in reviews.
- Advanced Flow Rate Control - With Advanced Flow rateControl you won't have any cold water surprises when hot water demand is high. When the hot water demand exceeds the unit's ability to deliver, the Advanced Flow rate Control will kick in and slightly reduce the flow rate of water. This means that the Tempra Plus will deliver a little less water, but at the temperature you desire. It's so advanced, you won't even notice it's happening!
- Smart Microprocessor Technology - The incoming water and outgoing water temperature is constantly being monitored and adjusted as several temperature and flow rate sensors continually send readings into a microprocessor. The Tempra 24 Plus is capable of delivering a steady output temperature regardless if there's an increase or decrease in the flow rate.
- Electronic Temperature Control - Simply adjust the temperature on the Tempra 24 and the tankless unit will always deliver to that temperature.
- Voltage Input Options - The Tempra 24 Plus is a 240v unit, but it can be installed to run at 208v.
- Self-Modulating Energy Technology - You'll save both money and energy with self-modulation integrated with these water heaters. The heating elements are engaged in stages so the unit will run as efficiently as possible giving it a great rating.
- Safety Features - Built with safety in mind, the unit has a high-limit safety switch to prevent over heating, and a manual reset button to allow you to get it back up and running again without calling a plumber. And, if for any reason the flow rate of water is interrupted, you won't need to worry about the unit dry-firing.
- Quiet Operation - Since there's no mechanical switches the Tempra 24 Plus is virtually silent when it's operating.
The brand warranty that these tankless water heater units comes with is 7 years of leakage insurance and 3 years against defects in workmanship and materials. However, installation must be done by a licensed professional. See the complete warranty.
The limited warranty is the shortest of all the units on our Best Tankless Water Heaters reviews list, which is surprising for such a well designed, quality product. However, the Tempra 24 Plus is loved by those who own it, and the unit should provide 20+ years of service if properly maintained.
> > Read our full Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus review < <
With attention to detail, excellent customer service and pride in workmanship Stiebel Eltron is clearly a leader and one of the best in the tankless heater industry.
The Tempra 24 Plus comes in on the higher side of the price range, especially for an electric tankless water heaters. However, since venting will not be necessary, the installation costs should be substantially lower.
With the trademarked Advanced Flow Control feature and the self modulating technology, the Tempra 24 is among the best of the best heaters, especially if you are looking for a quality unit with years of experience in the industry.
We wish the brand warranty was more competitive, but, those who own this unit rave about it's performance, and it's clearly built to deliver impressive results and stand the test of time.
One look at the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus and it's easy to see the reasons why it made our list of the best tankless water heaters and is a bestseller in this category with some great reviews.
The company expects the Tempra 24 Plus to be able to deliver a maximum flow rate of 8.0 GPM if the temperature rise is 20 degrees Fahrenheit. In colder climates, this unit can deliver an impressive 4.0 GPM if the temperature rise is 40F.
Rule of Thumb: A typical shower uses 2.0 to 2.5 gallons of water per minute (GPM).
Stiebel Eltron have a wide variety of tankless water heater units in their Tempra Plus line. We like and think the 24 is the best because we feel it's a strong performing unit that should be able to meet the average household's hot water needs.
The brand trademarked Advanced Flow Rate Control feature adds a level of protection during high hot water demand times, and ensures that no one in the house will find themselves in cold water!
This unit is designed to deliver, but if your household hot water needs exceed the Tempra 24 Plus model, Stiebel Eltron manufacturers more powerful models.
If you are looking for a whole-house electric tankless water heater this is an excellent choice and should definitely be on your short list, you can see the reasons why there is a host of great ratings and reviews for the brand and their water heaters.
- CONTINUOUS FLOW – Advanced Flow Control patented technology invented by Stiebel Eltron, automatically maintains water temperature for constant comfort. It’ll reduce flow slightly if hot water demand exceeds capacity. Hot showers will never be interrupted again
- SPACE & ENERGY SAVER – Its small, sleek white design saves space yet still provides endless hot water for your whole house, and no venting is required. Eco friendly unit saves energy with auto-modulation and the ability to electronically control water flow. Savings monitor even shows how much you save on energy costs
- EASY OPERATION – Electronic switch activates the hot water heater and it’s noise free while in use. Has a digital temperature display and preset temperature and memory buttons, while the interior solid copper heating system does all the power work
- TEMPRA 24 PLUS – This specific model is 24kW, 240V, requires a min recommended electric service of 150 A, and offers an output water temperature of 68° to 140°F. Check our guides below to compare features of our various Trend and Plus models, each available in different kW levels
- WARRANTIES INCLUDED – Stiebel Eltron’s top-rated electric tankless water heaters perform with the highest standards for comfort and reliability. Our 7-Year Leakage and 3-Year Parts Warranties are included with purchase
The EcoSmart ECO27 water heater system comes in a sleek, no-nonsense design and an impressive lifetime brand warranty. As a relatively new company, EcoSmart products are rapidly gaining the reputation of delivering solid performance at a budget price with a host of glowing reviews.
- Self-Modulating Energy Rating Technology - The Eco 27 will adjust the amount of electricity it draws based on how much hot water it needs to heat. By being able to "gear-up" and "gear-down" to the demand of hot water, you'll know that your tankless is drawing the exact amount of energy it needs to get the job done - saving you energy.
- Precise Control - You're in control with the outgoing water temperature! Increase or decrease the temperature in 1-degrees Fahrenheit increments.
- Digital Temperature Display - As the hot water leaves the Eco 27 you'll be able to monitor the exact temperature. This helps make temperature adjustments even easier.
- Compact - The slim and compact size of the EcoSmart 27 allows it to fit into the tightest of places. Or, mount it on a wall in a visible location, it's sleek, no-nonsense look means it's all business.
With the only limited lifetime warranty unit that made our list, EcoSmart clearly has confidence in their tankless products to be the best. The exchangers, electronics, and heating elements on the ECO27 are all covered under their brand warranty insurance.
However, for the warranty to be valid, the unit must be installed by a licensed plumber/electrician within 30 days of purchase. Read Ecosmart’s Electric Tankless Water Heater warranty guide.
> > Read our full EcoSmart Eco 27 review < <
The ECO27 is a very reasonably priced electric tankless water heater. For the initial price, on-going energy rating savings due to the self-modulating technology, and the incredible lifetime brand warranty this unit is hard to beat, its the best we have seen across the water heater brands.
One note to keep in mind, if you are buying this tankless unit, or any other electric unit, to replace tank style water heaters, be sure your household has adequate electricity. If you need to upgrade your household electrical supply you will undoubtedly add substantially to the initial cost.
The positive customer reviews, lifetime warranty and low entry price helped put the EcoSmart ECO27 on our list of the best brand tankless water heaters.
- EcoSmart is very upfront about the maximum flow rate expectations of their products. The ECO27 should be able to achieve a 2.7 GPM if the incoming water temperature is 37F. However, if the incoming water temperature is 77F, the unit can deliver it's maximum flow rate of 6.6 GPM.
- The popularity of EcoSmart tankless water heaters have seen over recent years could be largely because they provide a solid product that is reasonably priced and environmentally focused. Combined with the lifetime warranty the ECO27 is an excellent choice and well worth a second look!
- Out of all of the tankless units in our reviews, this unit delivers the best bang for the dollar!
- Endless on-Demand Hot Water; Consistent hot water when you need it that never runs out; Continuously monitored water temperature and controlled flow rates ensure efficiency and consistent performance within 1 degree of selected temperature
- Save Space; EcoSmart tankless electric water heaters are 90% smaller than traditional tank heaters; may be installed on wall or at point of use; Dimensions 17 x 17 x 3.75 inches
- Save Energy; EcoSmart tankless electric water heaters are 99% thermal energy efficient; Only heats water when called unlike a tank heater that maintains water temperature even when not being used. Save up to 50% in water heating costs according to the Department of Energy
- EcoSmart ECO 27 Sizing; Refer to the sizing map. Requires 3x40 AMP Double Pole Breaker, 27-kilowatt tankless electric water heater ideal for providing hot water for whole home applications; provides between 2.7 and 6.5 gallons-per-minute depending on the inlet water temperature; refer to the sizing guide to select the proper solution
- Warranty and Certifications; Limited Lifetime Warranty on electronics, exchanger and element; UL-499 certified; ETL Listed
The Takagi T-KJr2 is a solid water heater with plenty of flexibility since the Takagi brand offers this model in both indoor and outdoor options to suit all storage set ups, as well as natural gas and propane fuel options.
- Environmentally Friendly - The Takagi T-KJr2 is a Low NOx model which helps reduce nitrogen oxide emissions.
- Remote Control - A remote control is included as a standard feature.
- AFR Sensor - The ARF sensor monitors and maintains the combustion of the unit by adjusting the internal fan motor speed to ensure that the air and fuel is at the correct mixture ration. With this feature to T-KJr2 is able to minimize it's emissions while maximizing it's efficiency.
- Safety Controls - Loaded with safety features, the unit is equipped with exhaust and water temperature safety controls. It also has a high-limit shut off to prevent over heating, as well as internal freeze protection, and an overheat cut-off fuse to protect the surface of the heat exchanger.
The Takagi T-KJr2 Tankless Water Heater offers a one of the best 15 year limited brand warranty on the heat exchanger, 5 years on parts, and 1 year labor. To qualify for the warranty work, the unit must be installed by a licensed plumber, gas installer, or contractor with up to date insurance. View the Takagi T-KJr2 Tankless Water Heater warranty details on page 55 of the Owners Manual.
With the option of selecting an indoor or outdoor tankless unit, as well as which fuel (propane or natural gas) best fits your location, the homeowner should be able to find a T-KJr2 model that's a good fit.
The Takagi T-KJ2 is a non-condensing tankless water heater, which means that expensive stainless steel venting materials will need to be used to properly vent the unit. If you live in warmer climates, you may want to consider purchasing the outdoor model, as installation expenses will be lower since venting isn't necessary.
Although this is the smallest unit manufactured by Takagi, the T-KJr2 delivers a solid maximum flow rate of hot water at a reasonable price within reach for the average homeowner. If your hot water needs are high, and you like what Takagi has to offer, the company does have more powerful tankless heater models available.
- With the water output setting at 120F the T-KJr2 is capable of delivering hot water at a maximum flow rate of 4.6 GPM if the incoming water temperature is 70F. If the incoming water drops down to 40F, the unit's flow rate drops to 2.9 GPM.
- The maximum 6.6 GPM flow rate can be achieved when the incoming water temperature is 70F and the hot water temperature setting is 100F.
- The company promotes the T-K-Jr2 as a great fit for "apartments, one bath homes in cold climates, condos and summer cabins." They state that the unit can handle 2 showers in warmer climates and 1 shower in cooler climates, of course.
- The T-KJr2 heater delivers a solid maximum flow rate of hot water and has a nice range of features with a focus on safety and performance. This is a good choice if you are looking for a straight-forward, easy to use machine. If your peak hot water demand is relatively low, this gas tankless water heater would likely meet your needs.
- Maximum BTUs: 140,000 ; Minimum BTUs: 19,500
- Vent Type: Direct Vent ; Water Connection Location: Bottom ; Water Connection: 3/4 Inch
- Heat Exchanger: Copper; Voltage: AC 120V ; UEF: 0.80 ;Emissions: Low Nox
- Product Weight:38 lbs; Safety features include freeze, overheat, surge protection, and troubleshooting diagnostic codes
- 140,000 BTU
The Rinnai RL 75iN is made for performance. This gas tankless water heater is part of the Rinnai Award Winning Luxury Series which has proudly earned the Energy Star rating. The RL 75iN is an indoor model, however, Rinnai manufactures the exact same tankless unit for outdoor installation (RL 75eN).
A quick look at what the RL 75iN unit has to offer and you'll see the reasons why this gas tankless water heater is part of Rinnai's Luxury Series. It's packed full of standard and optional features and it not only delivers exceptional performance, but it also provides all the bells and whistles to put the homeowner in control of their hot water needs.
- High Altitude - Do you live in the mountains? No problem, the RL-75iN works in elevations up to 10,200 feet.
- Venting Options - Whether you need to vent the RL75-iN through a wall or the roof it won't be a problem. You can run your venting vertically or horizontally.
- Scale Detection - When the unit needs to be flushed due to scale build-up you'll receive an alert from the RL-75iN.
- Wi-Fi Enabled - The RL-75iN is wi-fi enabled which allows you to tap into features that makes it truly one of the smartest tankless units on the market today.
- Control-R - Add the optional Control-R to your tankless and you'll be able to adjust and monitor your water heater's every move. Receive alerts, change the temperature, and even troubleshoot a problem all from your smartphone.
- Remote Monitoring - Even your plumber can monitor your tankless with Control-R. He'll receive automatic maintenance alerts and know exactly where to start troubleshooting before he even opens the panel.
- Lots of Extras - There's a temperature lock, plenty of safety features, and even isolation valves to simply maintenance.
The Rinnai RL 75in Natural Gas Tankless water heater comes with a limited brand warranty that requires the unit to be installed by a licensed professional who has attended Rinnai Installation Training Classes.
The heat exchanger comes with 12-years cover. Other parts and components for 5-years, and Rinnai will cover 1-year of reasonable labor. Find out about Rinnai’s tankless water heater complete warranty.
> > Read our full Rinnai RL 75iN review < <
This gas tankless water heater isn't for everyone. To start with, many homeowners may not need the amount of hot water this unit can deliver, and if the nifty wi-fi remote monitoring and smart phone temperature adjustments don't appeal to you, there really isn't a reason to purchase a wi-fi enabled tankless.
With that said, we think this is one of the best tankless units manufactured by a brand that's been around for many years. Rinnai stands behind their products which comes with a solid brand warranty and they are constantly moving their product line to meet the consumer reviews and demand for performance, features and technology.
The RL 75in will provide years of water heating service if properly maintained and it is an excellent choice for large homes. In addition, it is also certified for manufactured (mobile) homes.
As you might imagine, this is a higher priced tankless water heater. But if your peak hot water needs are high, and the wi-fi technology appeals to you, you really can't go wrong buying this Rinnai unit.
- Rinnai promotes the RL 75iN model of being capable of delivering enough hot water to support 3 showers and 1 faucet based on a ground temperature of 70F.
- The heater unit can achieve the maximum flow rate of 7.5 GPM when the temperature rise is 40F. However, even when the incoming water needs to be heated by 75F, the unit can deliver an impressive 4.0 GPM maximum flow rate!
- This may be a high priced gas tankless water heater, but it is also loaded with features and upgrades, and it's capable of delivering a seemingly endless supply of hot water.
- If you're looking for a high-demand gas tankless, this is an excellent pick.
- Energy and Space Efficient: Space-saving design conserves energy as it heats only when necessary
- Optimal Water Pressure: High-performance 7.5 GPM hot water flow rate for a powerful, constant stream
- Instant Heating: Circ-Logic technology enables recirculation patterns that coincide with your typical habits; Wi-Fi monitoring creates hot water on demand
- Guaranteed to Last: 12-, 5-, and 1-year residential and 5-, 5-, and 1-year commercial factory warranty for heat exchanger, parts, and labor respectively
Rheem's RTGH-95 is the only condensing tankless water heater that comes out well in our reviews. This powerhouse of a tankless is loaded with some of the best safety features and it's designed to not only look good, but to deliver hot water as efficiently as possible.
- Water Savings Setting - This feature allows the homeowner the option of decreasing the flow rate of water through the pipes until the water reaches the set temperature.
- Save up to 1,100-gallons of water each year - Gallons Per Minute (gpm) and maximum flow rate of hot water are important features of any water heater unit.
- Hot-Start Programming - Minimizes the "cold water sandwich" which can sometimes occur during periods of frequent on/off operation.
- High Altitude - Capable of operating in storage at altitudes up to 8,400 ft.
- Freeze Protection - Designed to protect itself from freezing in temperatures of -30F.
- Low Flow Rate Fixture Compatible - Industry first minimum flow rate of .26 GPM and minimum activation flow rate of .40 GPM ensures the user will receive hot water even in low demand situations.
- Maintenance Alerts - Warning codes will flash and alert the homeowner when service is necessary.
Rheem backs their RTGH-95 model with an impressive 12-year warranty on the heat exchanger and 5-years on parts and labor. View the terms of the Rheem water heater warranty.
Although Rheem doesn't invalidate the brand warranty coverage if the tankless water heater isn't installed professionally, they do strongly recommend that it is "installed by a contractor that is licensed, state qualified, has full insurance and trained on Rheem's best tankless products." In other words, the warranty will be void if the unit isn't properly installed.
The Rheem RTGH-95 is a powerful tankless water heater. It is also comes in at the highest priced unit to make our reviews list.
Since this is a condensing unit and expensive stainless steel venting materials are not needed, installation costs should be lower, which will help offset the initial purchase price.
Overall, we think the Rheem RTGH-95 provides excellent value for large homes and one of the best models for homes with high hot water needs. It's capable of delivering large quantities of hot water in an incredibly efficient manner. If properly maintained it should last 20+ years.
The RTGH-95 unit is the most powerful in Rheem's Prestige line and the company states that it should be able to deliver enough hot water to service 3 bathrooms with a temperature range between 85 - 140F.
Recommended Maximum Temperature Rating: The Department of Energy recommends a maximum temperature of 120°F.
With a 35F temperature rise the RTGH-95 come swith and can achieve a maximum flow rate of 9.5 GPM. Even if this unit needs to perform a 100F temperature rise, it can still deliver a flow rate of 3.8 GPM! This is very impressive and is a clear display of just how powerful this unit is.
There's no need to worry about running a dishwasher or a washing machine when household members are in the shower . . . this tankless heater was designed to deliver the best performance!
The Rheem RTGH-95 may not have all the tech bells and whistles of the Rinnai, but if you're looking for high water flow rate and excellent efficiency from a gas tankless water heater, this unit is superb and has some rave reviews amongst homeowners! It's designed to deliver high volumes of hot water without interruption, and it is a great fit for large homes with multiple bathrooms.
- 94-Percent Energy efficient with stainless-steel condensing heat exchanger
- Intelligent electronic controls designed to increase energy efficiency and safety
- Third party efficiency listed by AHRI
- Up to 38-Feet of 3-Inch PVC Pipe or 5-Feet of 2-Inch PVC Pipe
- Low Nox Version
Consult with a Local Plumber
Get FREE Quotes Today
Why Choose a Tankless Heater? A Tankless Water Heater Guide
With a considerably longer service life than traditional tank style water heaters, the ability to fit into tight spaces, and their environmental rating appeal, tankless water heater systems are a smart choice for many homeowners.
Finding the best tankless water heater brand to meet your lifestyle and households hot water needs can be a daunting task. We've taken an in-depth look, reviewed the ratings, tested all of the top brands and selected what we feel are the best of the best brands and tankless models.
Tankless Water Heater Pros
- Constant supply of hot water
- Fresh water vs. water being stored in a tank
- The cost to run a tankless unit is less than a tank-style water heater
- Tankless Water heaters tend to last longer when properly maintained
- Easier and cheaper to repair
- Smaller and more compact designs
Tankless Water Heater Cons
- Initial cost of tankless is more than a tank-style water heater
- Sizing is key when choosing the best tankless water heater for your home
- Some houses might not be able to meet the needs of an electric tankless water heater
Electric tankless water heaters have many advantages over their gas fuelled cousin. Below we have outlined a list of a few of their strengths and weaknesses vs a gas unit.
Pros of an Electric Tankless Hot Water Heater
- Less expensive than gas tankless water heater
- Easier to install since ventilation isn't necessary. This also allows electric systems to fit into tight spaces
- Extremely energy efficient. Frequently 99%
- Because of the simplistic design, there's less maintenance required and repairs are easier to make
- Environmentally friendly
Cons of an Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Electric tankless water heaters have a lower flow rate than gas units
- It may be necessary to upgrade your household electrical supply in order to power the tankless heater. electric heaters require a substantial amount of electricity to heat water.
Gas tankless water heaters are extremely popular because of their ability to deliver high volumes of hot water.
Pros of a Gas Tankless Water Heater
- Increased efficiency over tank-style water heaters
- Natural gas is currently less expensive than electricity as an energy source
- Capable of delivering a higher maximum flow rate (GPM) than electric tankless water heaters
Cons of a Gas Tankless Water Heater
- More expensive than electric tankless water heaters
- Requires expensive venting for non-condensing tankless units
- Requires more maintenance than electric tankless water heaters
- Emits geen-house gases
If you like the sound of a gas unit then read our pick for the best tankless gas water heater you can buy and the brands to look out for.
Our list of the best tankless water heater brands covers a wide range of tankless units. Both electric and gas & non-condensing and condensing. We have searched high and low, checked maximum flow rate comparisons, searched water heater reviews, found deals, reviewed performance and highlighted the best hot water unit models. Although, each of the reviewed tankless water heater units are indoor storage models, all of the gas units are available in outdoor models as well, with great ratings across the board and great flow rate performance.
Keep in mind that there isn't a single "best" choice because every situation is different. However, we have highlighted our favorite unit and brands and we're confident that you can find a tankless water heater system on the list that will be a good fit for your home and family.
As we stated in the beginning of our review, when selecting the best tankless water heater there are many variables, therefore, there is not a one-size-fits-all. Our Tankless Water Heater List features a wide range of units that fit many different needs and situations.
Consult with a Local Plumber
Get FREE Quotes Today
Last update on 2022-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API