Prevention is the key to dealing with a laundry room flood. There's nothing quite as frustrating or as damaging as an unchecked washing machine pouring water onto your floor. There are a number of products on the market today that can help prevent a laundry room flood.
Taking a few upfront precautions can help you catch a potential problem before it turns into a disaster. This post will cover our favorite 6 items that will help you protect your investment and give you peace of mind.
6 Ways to Prevent a Laundry Room Flood
Prevention is your number one key to success when it comes to laundry room floods. A washing machine is one of several high water usage appliances within your home, and when something goes wrong it can dump a tremendous amount of water onto your floor.
If you've ever cleaned up excess water from a flooded floor, you would have most likely done nearly anything to have prevented the problem in the first place. Fortunately, there are a few products on the market today that can help you prevent a catastrophe tomorrow.
A washing machine floor tray sits under your washer and it's always ready to catch excess water. Many floor trays are designed with drain fittings that can allow the water to be redirected to a floor drain.
Although, you can purchase an inexpensive floor tray for your washer that's made from plastic, we highly recommend buying a metal tray. Metal trays will not crack or break and they'll offer you years of worry-free security.
- ✅ Manufactured from heavy duty 20 gauge steel
- ✅ Powder coated white for a durable, stylish finish
- ✅ Welded water tight GUARANTEED
- ✅ Compatible with many major washing machine brands including Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire, Maytag, and more
- ✅ Made in the U.S.A.
When a washer hose breaks 500 gallons of water can flood your laundry room floor every hour! As you can imagine, this can be an absolute disaster. Using burst proof washer hoses can be an effective preventative measure.
It's well worth the extra money to invest in quality burst proof hoses. These hoses provide additional protection over standard rubber hoses because they are encased within a stainless steel mesh. Still, it's a good practice to check your hoses periodically for cracks or small leaks and replace as needed.
Click here to learn more about washer hoses.
- 5' LONG, PAIR of Stainless Steel Washing Machine Hoses with 90 degree elbow. Red colored for Hot Water and Blue colored for Cold Water
- FITS ALL WASHERS - Flexible Universal Washer Hose easily Connects to normal household Water Supply Lines in the Laundry room. Perfect for Homeowner or Contractor Installation. Elbow space saver design allows washer to be installed closer to wall.
- BURST PROOF Washer Hose Design and 5 YEAR WARRANTY - The BEST WARRANTY on Amazon
- WIDE OPENING ALLOWS WASHERS TO FILL 50% FASTER than other leading brands on Amazon- Spend less time waiting for Laundry
- LEAD FREE AB 1953, Grade 304 Stainless Steel, PVC Core. BRASS nuts, ferrules and nipples for superior Corrosion Resistance. UPC Certified
If a washer hose bursts, the Automatic Laundry Shut Off will immediately close the hot and cold water valves that service your washing machine. A sensor is positioned on the floor, and when triggered the water supply will be immediately shut down to prevent further damage to your laundry room.
Watch the video to see how an automatic laundry shut off valve works.
Watch the Video
Another option is a Wet Switch Flood Detector. These detectors are placed within a washer floor tray and when triggered, shut down the appliance. Although designed for cooling systems, Wet Switches work well with detecting a leak from a washing machine.
Although, any washer floor tray should work with the Wet Switch, DiversiTech does offer one that is designed specifically for this purpose. You can check it out here.
- WET SWITCH FLOOD DETECTOR: Designed to help prevent flooding and damage to carpets, walls, furniture, ceilings, and more
- HYRDROPHILIC PAD AND INTEGRAL FEET: A high tech polymeric fiber quickly draws water into the sensor array using proven capillary technology and integral feet raise it to prevent pan corrosion
- STANDARD 24VAC CONTROL: Makes hookup quick and easy - no need to run different power to the switch
- SIMPLE INSTALLATION: Built-in test and reset button makes installing your unit easy
- IDEAL SIZE: Measuring 8" x 1.55" x 9.6", this flood detector is the perfect size for your home
Watch the video below to see how the Wet Switch works.
Watch the Video
The IntelliFlow Shut Off Switch is often thought of as the gold standard of automatic shutoff valves. What sets this device apart from the rest is that it offers dual protection. Should you have a hose burst, the floor sensor will trigger and the valve to the hot and cold water will immediately close.
In addition, to add another level of security, the IntelliFlow device will only allow water to flow from the water valves when it's sensor recognizes the washer is running.
- WATTS WASHER WATER SHUTOFF VALVES: Protects against potential residential water damage due to a burst inlet hose connected to a washing machine - whether in use or unattended.
- AUTOMATIC WATER SHUTOFF VALVE: Automatic water leak shutoff valve A2C-M is equipped with a state of the art electric current sensing device. When the washer is turned on, the device senses the current flow to the washer and opens the valves.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It is easy to install and has silent reliable operation.
- BEST SELLING WASHING MACHINE WATER SHUTOFF VALVE: It consists of an electrical three-prong outlet to receive a washing machine power cable, leak sensor, a power cord, and a replaceable internal strainer screen.
- WASHING MACHINE HOT WATER SHUTOFF VALVE WITH LEAK SENSOR: If the Series A2C detects a leak, current flow to both the hot and cold water valves are immediately interrupted and closed.
The video below shows how the IntelliFlow Shut Off Switch works.
Watch the Video
If you enjoy technology and have your house set as a smart home using Z-Wave, you can easily add a sensor to your hub which will alert you to leaks. Z-Wave is a home automation system that allows you to control your network from an app on your phone.
When a leak occurs, the Z-Wave sensor triggers and sends an alert to your smart phone. If your system is configured to do so, you may even be able to shut down your main water supply remotely. You'll know when a crisis happens, regardless of where you are, and have the ability to take action from your phone to prevent a laundry room flood.
- SMART HOME WATER LEAK DETECTOR - Has a built-in buzzer and LED light for on the spot notification and also integrates with other smart home components to sound an alarm, or shut-off your water.
- MONITORS WATER-RELATED APPLIANCES AND FIXTURES - Alerts you to leaks, malfunctions, and overflows so you can find fixes before major problems arise and cost you thousands.
- Z-WAVE TECHNOLOGY FOR LEAK DETECTION - Up to 150-foot range and is Z-Wave Plus Certified. Seamlessly integrates with Wink, SmartThings, HomeSeer, Nexia, and other hubs.
- BATTERY-POWERED - Has a 3-year battery life (CR14250 Battery Included) to save you money and hassle, and to let you use it where you need it without wires.
- WATER RESISTANT DESIGN - Water resistant and low profile, so it can be tucked away underneath appliances like dishwashers and washing machines.
Last update on 2024-02-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API